Thursday, January 8, 2015

Baby Steps to a healthier you (Step 1)

I was going to make this series about losing weight but when I showed my husband, he said that my idea could be used by everyone. So it is my hope that these posts will help you to be a healthier version of you. I will be sprinkling in weight loss notes here and there for those of you on a weight loss journey. This is how I lost over 100 pounds.

Step 1: NO more frankenfoods!!

I'm a firm believer that genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are bad for you. They are hard for the body to digest. This includes soy and corn in it's many forms (high fructose corn syrup, cornstarch, and maltodextrin, to name a few). If you're vegan or vegetarian and soy is a big source of your protein then try, as your budget allows, to stick to organic or Non-GMO Verified. Corn is out. If a cow with four stomachs can't digest it then I have no business even trying!!

You can learn more about the Non-GMO Project and check on foods here: http://www.nongmoproject.org They have a lot of helpful information about GMOs. I have them bookmarked in my browser.

When you eliminate corn, you eliminate a lot of junk food from your diet. If you have it in your cupboards, eat it up or give it away. I would never advocate tossing food in the trash. When it's gone, however, it should stay gone. Find another alternative or go without.

Always read the label! Fat free items tend to make use of cornstarch as a binder. Make room for a little extra fat. Your body needs good fats for health.

Do this until it becomes a habit. This may take two to four weeks. It may take longer but it is so very important for your health. It is the hardest step of all.

Stay tuned for the next step!

No comments:

Post a Comment